Welcome To
Acadia Broadcasting NewsThe Latest and Greatest ContentYour Trusted Local Source


IRCC replacing passports and other important documents for free after wildfires

By Caitlin Snow Jun 14, 2023 | 1:03 PM

Jason Spaceman / CC

Many are returning home, from evacuation orders, but there are hundreds who have no home to go to, which means many valuables are gone, including important documents.

The Government of Canada is replacing them for free for anyone who lost them in the wildfires, including passports, permanent resident cards and citizenship certificates.

Those who need to extend or restore their status in Canada, can apply for an extension, free of charge.

“We will continue to be there for those people across the country who are facing extreme wildfires. These new measures will make it easier for Canadians, permanent residents and temporary residents to replace lost documents. They will also help make sure temporary residents are not unduly penalized and are there to help rebuild our communities. To the first responders and firefighters across the country, thank you for your continued courage and hard work to protect our communities during this challenging time.”

– The Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

More information about who is eligible, how to apply and what replacement documents are covered under the special measures will be available on IRCC’s website.

Those who apply for an extension of their work permit continue to benefit from maintained status while their application is being processed. They also remain eligible to work, under the conditions of their original work permit.

The measures will be in effect until September 30.


Leave a Reply