Welcome To
Acadia Broadcasting NewsThe Latest and Greatest ContentYour Trusted Local Source


Mahone Bay Applies For 34 Per Cent Electricity Rate Increase

By Evan Taylor Oct 27, 2022 | 4:30 PM

Photo: Evan Taylor.

The Town of Mahone Bay has applied for its first electricity rate increase in fifteen years.

Their application is requesting a 34 percent increase as the town looks to deal with rising electricity costs and the expansion of its own electric utility.

Mahone Bay is one of just a handful of Nova Scotia towns that operates its own electric utility, an effort they’ve been undertaking for years in order to become more self-sufficient and to ensure their power is as green as possible.

With the infrastructure currently in place, the town generates around 40 percent of its power from nearby wind turbines, while the other 60 percent is purchased from NB Power.

The contract with NB Power is set to expire in the new year and as a result, Mahone Bay was seeking new partners to provide the electricity they require.

Reports indicate that Nova Scotia Power is now offering the only viable offer albeit at a much higher cost than under the previous arrangement with NB Power.

Mahone Bay is now awaiting a decision from the Utility and Review Board which must approve all rate changes for electricity in the province.




Leave a Reply