×
Welcome To
Acadia Broadcasting NewsThe Latest and Greatest ContentYour Trusted Local Source

Newsroom

A Halifax Fire Department truck is pictured on May 25, 2024. (Caitlin Snow/Acadia Broadcasting)

Union president says fire chief’s retirement a good first step

By Bryan Tait Oct 2, 2025 | 7:30 AM

The head of the union representing Halifax firefighters called the chief stepping down a first step in solving problems with the department.

Brendan Meagher issued a statement Wednesday following the announcement that Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency executive director and chief Ken Stuebing would retire on Dec. 1.

“The Halifax Professional Fire Fighters have expressed serious concerns about the leadership of Ken Stuebing and the behaviour and performance of several senior managers,” Meagher said.

Meagher had previously told our newsroom the union would frequently raise issues with Stuebing, but he would not address them. Meagher said the union saw a “growing indifference” from Stuebing about members’ concerns.

Now, Meagher is hopeful Stuebing’s retirement will lead to a thorough review of senior management at the department.

“We feel significant changes in personnel are vital to redefining the culture of HRFE management and putting our fire service on the right path for the future,” he said.