Welcome To
Acadia Broadcasting NewsThe Latest and Greatest ContentYour Trusted Local Source


Kitchen fire leaves resident with smoke inhalation

By CJ Goater Apr 17, 2024 | 12:46 PM

Thunder Bay Fire and Rescue successfully put out a fire in a basement apartment on Cumming Street Tuesday Evening.

Crews arrived at the residence just after 9:00 p.m. and found smoke on the first floor that was spreading to the second floor.

A quick assessment of the scenes allowed fire crews to find and extinguish the main portion of the fire which was located in the kitchen of a basement apartment.

The platoon Chief reported that the fleeing occupant, successfully slowed the spread of the fire with a fire extinguisher and that unattended cooking was determined to be the cause.

Superior North EMS treated the occupant for smoke inhalation, and no other injuries were reported.

Fire Rescue is reminding the public not to leave cooking unattended, as this contributes to a high percentage of home fire incidents in Ontario.