Welcome To
Acadia Broadcasting NewsThe Latest and Greatest ContentYour Trusted Local Source


Firefighters rescue dog from burning home

By Adam Riley Mar 18, 2024 | 8:44 AM

Nobody was sent to hospital and a family pet is recovering following a fire on Logan Avenue Sunday night.

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue say they responded to reports of a structural fire just after 7:30 p.m., upon arrival the first crews on scene discovered smoke and flames emanating from the home.

The homeowner had managed to get out of the burning residence with only light smoke inhalation and was assisted by paramedics, but told crews a dog was still inside, prompting a second alarm for reinforcements.

Crews then knocked the fire down and rescued the dog from the building, however it was suffering from smoke inhalation, breathing heavily and unable to move.

Firefighters provided oxygen to the dog and it perked up, attempting to stand and bark.

Residents are being reminded of the importance of working smoke alarms, as well as to not re-enter a building during a fire once you have escaped.